Homemade vegetable stock is easier to make than you think with this quick and healthy recipe.
Serves: serves 4
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 sticks celery, including tops
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp each fresh thyme and marjoram, chopped
- 5 cups water
- Peel and slice the carrots, peel and chop the onion and garlic, and clean and chop the celery.
- Heat the oil in a big saucepan over medium heat, add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery, stir, and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Add the herbs and water, bring to a boil, and simmer for about an hour, covered.
- Strain out the vegetables and discard; refrigerate stock until ready to use.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!