Veggie-Packed Lentil Stew
This lentil stew is packed with vegetables and will keep your family going strong.
Serves: Serves: 8
- 2 (28-ounce) cans of Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 16-ounce can of kidney beans, drained
- 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- Spray Dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients except chives; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentils and vegetables are tender, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives before serving, if desired.
- Stew can be refrigerated or frozen; reheat on stovetop or in microwave oven.
- Garbanzo beans, an excellent source of magnesium, also contain digestive enzymes that help prevent the formation of cancer cells.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.