White Bean and Wilted Greens Soup
Type: Soups and Stews
Swiss chard and cannellini beans give this soup a taste that crosses all borders.
Serves: Serves: 2.
- 1 can cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and end trimmed
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups stock (according to type and preference); water will also do, but the flavor of the soup will not be so deep
- 2 handfuls (about 1 cup) Swiss chard, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste (optional)
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the beans, garlic, and stock to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully, with a slotted spoon, scoop out the beans with 1/2 cup of liquid into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Or, if you own a handheld household processor, leave the soup in the saucepan. (This piece of kitchen equipment is invaluable for just this.)
- Puree until smooth and return to the saucepan, stirring into the remaining stock.
- Add the greens, season with salt, and cook another 5 minutes.
From Eat Right for Your Baby by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney. Copyright © 2004.
To order this book visit www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.