White Bean Soup
Hearty soup made with cannellini beans provides lasting energy in a healthy dish.
Serves: serves 4
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 15-oz (425-g) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup canned concentrated beef consommé, diluted in water to make 1 cup stock
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Put the oil and garlic in a soup pot over medium heat. Sauté until the garlic is a very pale gold.
- Add the beans, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and then sauté gently for 5-6 minutes.
- Take a cup of beans from the pot and purée them in a blender or food processor.
- Return to the pot, add the stock, and simmer for another 5-6 minutes.
- Taste, adjust salt and pepper, swirl in the parsley, and turn off the heat.
- This soup is almost solid enough to serve as a side dish, but if you'd like it thinner, just add a little more stock or water.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!