Avocado Mousse with Lime
This creamy textured mousse can be served as a starter or a light lunch
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus chilling
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 large ripe avocados
- grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 1 / 2 oz ( 100g) low-fat cream cheese, softened
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 egg white (optional)
- Pit and peel the avocados and scoop the flesh into a blender or food processor. Add the lime zest and juice, and process until really smooth.
- Add the cream cheese and blend until completely combined. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over 2 tbsp of water in a small heatproof bowl. Let stand about 5 minutes until the mixture looks spongy. Place the bowl in a skillet of barely simmering water and stir constantly until the gelatin dissolves.
- Drizzle the dissolved gelatin over the avocado mixture, and stir well. If using, beat the egg white until soft peaks form. Fold the egg white into the avocado mixture.
- Spoon into four 4oz (100ml) ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours, or until chilled and set. Serve chilled.
- prep 15 mins, plus chilling
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!