Type: Spreads and Dressings
Blueberry jam with a hint of lemon is the perfect toast-topper
Prep Time: prep 5 mins, plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 15-20 mins
Serves: makes 7-8 jars
- 4lb ( 1.8kg) blueberries
- 3lb ( 1.35kg) sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- pinch of salt
- Put the blueberries in a large nonmetallic bowl with half the sugar, the lemon juice, and the salt. Stir to mix, then cover and let stand at room temperature, without stirring, for 5 hours. Meanwhile, put a small plate in the refrigerator to chill.
- Pour the contents of the bowl into a large stainless-steel pan over a low heat. Add the remaining sugar and stir until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture rapidly to a boil, without stirring, then boil for 10-12 minutes, or until it reaches the setting point. Remove the pan from the heat and test for a set.
- With the pan still off the heat, use a large metal spoon to skim the surface. Let the jam cool slightly, then pour it into the prepared jars to within 1/8in (3mm) of the tops and seal. Let the jam cool, then label and date the jars. Store in a cool, dark place until ready to use, then refrigerate after opening.
- prep 5 mins, plus standing; cook 15-20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!