Potato and Leek Soup
This hearty soup recipe makes enough for several meals, and is a prime candidate for a make-ahead dish.
Serves: Serves 6 to 8
- 5 (14.5-oz.) cans vegetable broth
- 4 TB. butter
- White parts from 1 bunch of leeks, sliced thin and rinsed (Leeks have little notches at the base of exterior leaves that can hide soil.)
- 4 medium-size all-purpose potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin
- 1 (4-oz.) pkg. fresh baby spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Heat broth to boiling in a large saucepan.
- While broth is heating, melt butter in a large skillet over high heat, and cook leeks for five minutes.
- Add leeks and potatoes to boiling broth and cook for 10 minutes until potato is soft.
- Add sour cream and cumin and cook for five minutes.
- Mix in the baby spinach, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.