Red Beans and Rice
This vegetarian meal is quick, easy, naturally low in fat, and very easy on the pocketbook!
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 TB. canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 11⁄2 tsp. Cajun seasoning or crushed red pepper
- 1 TB. chopped garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can red kidney beans
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups prepared white rice
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 8 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and sauté onions and Cajun seasoning (or crushed red pepper) for five minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Turn up the heat to medium high.
- Add broth, kidney beans, black pepper, and salt.
- Cook, stirring, for eight minutes.
- In the meantime, reheat rice (if it's left over).
- Turn off the heat below the skillet, stir in lemon juice and feta cheese, and pour red bean mixture over rice on serving plates.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.